Here is the list:
1. Chicken Nuggets/Tenders
2. Sugary Cereal
3. Lunch Meat & Hot Dogs
4. Juice and Juice-Flavored Drinks
5. French Fries
7. Fruit Leather
So, why are 6 of 9 a STAPLE of my children's diet? Yikes! I better get working!
Here are some alternatives:
1. Chicken Nuggets/Tenders: Grill chicken and cut it up, make fun shapes; can bread with cornflake crumbs dipped in egg whites
2. Sugary Cereal: low in sugar and high in fiber cereals; add raisins, fruit, etc. to make it more exciting
3. Lunch Meats/Hot Dogs: Watch Labels! Don't do Lunchables...not good for kids
4. Juice: Water
5. French Fries: Bake them in oven with a little olive oil (or Pam)...my kids like this
6. Chips: make your own healthy trail mix...this is fun for my kids; baked chips are good alternatives, too!
7. Fruit Leather: REAL fruit, freeze grapes
8. Donuts: JUST don't do it!!! (We have "donut day" every Saturday!...what are we going to do?)
9. Pizza: Make your own at home w/whole wheat bread base (english muffin, whole wheat tortilla, etc.) and less cheese (the kids like making their own!)
Wow! I have some work to do in my house! Jake's top food choices are all of the above (and not the healthy alternatives)!!! I think for our family, we are going to have to stop eating out! At home we do pretty well and use the alternatives. It is when we eat out we don't do well! Then, my kids get used to eating "junk" and they cry when I cook because their bodies crave the "junk" they've been eating. The healthy alternative doesn't taste as good to them. I better go to the grocery store!!!
I'd love some healthy, kid friendly meals! Any suggestions?