Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Tears


After 14 1/2 months, we are going to have to say "goodbye" to Eli Jackson, our dog.  We've fought to the bitter end but today proved...it is time for him to find another home.  I've written about Eli some but then the stories are so crazy it was almost too painful, almost commonplace to write about.
Today he got out...again.  I had only let him in the backyard for 5 minutes.  He dug out of our backyard and we drove to find him...only to find he had entered our neighbor's yard.  She was NOT happy about it!  He had dug in her trash and destroyed stuff...plus she had just vaccummed.  I took him from her backyard and was furious!  How could he?  (He had done the same thing 2 weeks ago and also peed IN the other neighbor's house).  I could go on and on with similar stories of Eli's antics.  Anyway, I called Jeffrey and started bawling!  I knew that was Eli's last time to torment our neighbors.  Jeffrey told me to call the Wheaton Rescue.  I've cried since 4pm today...it is now 10pm.  I didn't even like the dog...so I thought!
So, I now have to pick up another Wheaton on Friday then take both dogs to a "transporter" who will take both dogs on Saturday.  I think this will be an easier transition for the kids.
Oh, the kids!  We told them tonight in a "family meeting" that we are going to have to get rid of Eli.  We were all crying (well, except for Jeffrey).  It was the saddest day with my kids I have ever had.  We want what is best for everyone.  My kids love that dog (even though he still bites/mouthes them and he has attacked all of their friends...in a loving way that scares the crud out of them!).
I don't know the last time I have shed so many tears!  I am mostly sad for my boys who will no longer have a dog to call their own.  I am sad to see that puppy go.  He's been with us for a long time and we've endured a lot together.
Pray that the tears subside for our family...
It is going to be a rough couple of days ahead.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm so sorry about your dog. I know this is a hard decision for you guys. Hopefully he will go to someone with lots of land and maybe another dog to keep him occupied. I nearly gave our cat away because he was driving me nuts. When he ran away part of me was relieved, but it was still very sad. I still get sad about it sometimes. I just imagine he is living with an elderly couple with no kids to pester him.

christa said...

I have a dog they can call their own!

The Clarks said...

I'm sorry you are having to get rid of Eli. I know that is sad for everybody. It sounds like he is giving you no other choice, though. That is too much to have to put up with.

keely said...

Hey Steph. . .
I am so sorry to hear about Eli. I can only imagine what a hard decision this was. Thinking of you and the boys.

Jenny said...

That is hard, we had a dog we had to get rid of. Truthfully though, I was sad for a day or two but the RELIEF was huge!

Jenny

Kristen said...

i'm a little late to the dog parting party. sorry to hear about your loss. it's never easy to admit mistakes. kudos to you and your family for having the courage to make tough decisions and make the change necessary. i'm sure you're living a much more peaceful life today. more so than you ever realized even in your barren pre-puppy days.